*Update from Deep Griha Society*
Over the last few months Deep Griha has been distributing groceries to families in Tadiwala, Ramtekdi, Deulgaon Gada (the village Deep Griha Academy is located in) and Bibvewadi. These communities are some of the hardest hit, with limited space making social distancing impossible and where the majority of families have lost all sources of income. In addition Tadiwala and Ramtekdi continue to be containment zones meaning movement in and out of these areas is heavily restricted.
Local authorities have been distributing some supplies, however Deep Griha has been reaching out to those who fall through the gaps. This has included families of children registered with the Aadhar Kendra programme, families of children in the creche programme, and anyone in the communities in dire need. So far groceries have been distributed to almost 1000 families and this continues on a daily basis.
- Deep Griha Society, Pune & COVID-19 -
We recognise that the situation is difficult for everyone right now, but we also know that the poorest communities, including the ones where Deep Griha (DGS) works, will feel the impacts of the lockdown the hardest. Community members that DGS supports are primarily daily wage earners such as housemaids, and small-to-micro business owners—who have all been heavily impacted by the lockdown, and have very limited access to basic necessities whilst they are unable to go out to work.
As Friends of Deep Griha UK (FoDGS UK)we are keen to offer our support to the staff and communities on the front lines of this crisis in Pune. If you are in a position to do so, we would very much appreciate your donation to this FoDGS UK campaign to support COVID relief in Pune.
The campaign will support Deep Griha to:
• Distribute food parcels and other essentials (such as soap and sanitary towels) to community members and families most in need
• Ensure front line community staff are protected when carrying out community work by providing protective equipment
• Keep in touch with those who normally benefit from Deep Griha services, including information on health services, mental health support, and information about domestic violence support services
• Continue to run remote, and online learning sessions for children and young people through the Deep Griha Academy and TechSmart programmes, and upgrade technology that children and young people have access to so that more children can benefit
• Support the administrative and staff costs of Deep Griha Society -ensuring they have the means they need to continue through this crisis, and to continue paying staff wages at this difficult time
Examples of what your contributions will support:
• £5 provides a basic supply of sanitary items for one family for one month (soap, cleaning products, sanitary towels)
• £15 provides a basic food package (rice, tea, spices, wheat, pulses, nuts, sugar, oil) for one family for one month
• £20 provides all essentials – including a basic food package, vegetables, soap, sanitary towels and package distribution - for one family for one month
• £40 provides essentials packages for two families
• £100 provides a substantial contribution to the administrative and staff costs of Deep Griha at this difficult time, providing for their longer term sustainability
• £160 provides funds to buy a tablet for a child or young person to access online learning opportunities provided by Deep Griha Academy, TechSmart, and others.
Please share this campaign with friends and family, and on social media – you could include a photo of yourself at Deep Griha, and tag others into the post to ask for their support.
#COVID19 #PuneCOVIDAid #GlobalSolidarity
We will add updates from staff at Deep Griha Society, as well as updates on the situation in Pune, as the situation develops.
Thank you, as always, for the support you provide.
Friends of Deep Griha (UK) creates awareness in the UK of Deep Griha Society in Pune, India and raises funds to support the work of Deep ...